Monday, October 15, 2007

How To Get Sent Home Early And Other Crappy Sunday Tips

I had every intention of spending all day in my Pjs and then going to work tonight after a long day of being lazy. But my phone rang at around 11am, my mom needed a ride to do some errands. So off I went. My Lazy day died before it could even really get started.
At around 3pm I got back home, proud of myself that I made it through an entire shopping trip with my mother without getting into a screaming match. Low and behold, I have a message. It starts out "Hi, this is the library calling..."
Shit.
Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.
I was supposed to work a call in shift at 1pm.
I forgot.
Shit.
I'm an idiot.
I call them, apologise, offer to come in for a few hours. They say don't worry. It's not a problem. I still feel like an asshat.
After I hang up I check my email, eat some food and get ready for work. On my way I stop and say goodbye to a friend who was in town for the weekend. My parents are making a big family dinner for her. I get to miss it because I have to work. The fun never stops around here.
At work all goes well. I get all my shit together in record time. I fill out any paperwork that needs doing. I get the poster change organized. I get myself a drink. And I'm ready to go when the clock strikes 6. People start trickling in by 6.30pm and by 7 there's 59 people in the theatre and Jared is starting the film.
Time to read.
7.30 I run my shift report. Fill out the paperwork. Sigh. Back to my book. (Goldfinger, if you're interested.)
8.30 and I smell something. It may not sound like much, but I have virtually no sense of smell. So If I can smell it, it's bad. It also smells like burning. Which is bad. Very bad.
I go to the booth and as Jared is waiting for the change over I just ask if he can come down from the booth when he's done. By the time I get back to my desk, a few people have come out of the theatre. They smell the burning too.
This is bad.
Jared comes down and decided to investigate. By the time he comes back I can see the fire engine lights outside. We have to get everyone out. I knew things were going too smoothly.
The dumpster outside is on fire. It's just a precaution, but everyone has to leave. The fire fighters come in a check everything and advise us to wait at least 30 minutes before we let people back in to the theatre. After some phone calls and a lot of discussion we decide to shut down for the night.
Great. I love having to refund 59 tickets to inconvenienced people. Luckily Jared finds 20 gift passes, but that's still 39 people who I have to refund in cash.
After they all leave, in between telling anyone coming for the second show that it's been cancelled, I change out the posters and go enter the stats. Jared gets the fun job of rewinding all the film and getting it ready to ship. As we chat Jared realizes that had he panicked and pulled the alarm, the fire exit everyone is supposed to use opens up into the alley, right where the dumpster is. The dumpster that was on fire. Perfect.
We're out the door by 9.45 and on my way home I catch a glimpse of the dumpster. It's (excuse the pun) trashed. The outside is bowed and blistered. I also see what the fire fighters were talking about. Whoever set it on fire was clever enough to push it right up to the Library van, hoping that it would go up too.
Aren't humans just grand?

No comments: