Friday, January 09, 2009

More Adventures In Gwenland

The egg-deviling went well I think. The dark spirits were summoned nicely and despite a few of them bickering back and forth it was all ready to go by 10pm. I've also learned yet another lesson about how stupidly easy it is to impress most people, especially at a potluck.
I've always been the kind of person who worries that if I half-ass it, everyone else will go all out and I'll end up looking like a chump. So I make myself crazy trying to pull something amazing together, because I'll be damned if I'm going to let anyone out cook me... bastards. Then I turn up with my creation, which I lovingly hand-crafted and spent hours fretting over, only to find that everyone else half-assed it or bought something at Safeway.
Deviled eggs have taught me a few valuable potluck lessons.

1. They are just enough work that most people wouldn't have made them (because as we've learned, they are lazy bastards who are trying to make me insane) but easy enough that I put them together in about 15 minutes.
2. Doing even the simplest piping job with the filling (I put the filling in a zip-lock and cut off a corner) impresses the shit out of most people.
3. Everyone seems to love them, which is both confusing and great.

I think I'm starting to see why they have long been a potluck standard and a favourite of the leave it to beaver/father knows best type of 50s mom crowd.
Now all I have to do is find a way to make the recipe something jusut a little different so I can claim it. That way I'll never have to make anything else for a potluck ever again.
On a completely unrelated note, sweet jesus... am I really that old? *sigh*

4 comments:

Robin said...

i tend to bring store bought cookies, yes i am one of those bastards. the thing is, if i am supposed to make something i don't want to...i only really want to when i don't have to.

Robin said...

forgot to susbscribe.

Gwenhwyfar said...

I'll keep that in mind if you ever invite me to a potluck.

Janna said...

I hate deviled eggs.
If we ever have a bloggers' potluck, just bring a giant platter of samosas and some tamarind chutney.

Or, if you want the easy way out, I'd probably be content with a bag of Doritos too.