Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Arg!

Stupid Everything!
Last night, around 10.30 - 11pm, I'm watching TV. Naiomi's in the shower. The cats are doing whatever it is that cats do when you're not watching them.
I've lived in my house for long enough to know the house sounds. All the little noises everything makes, up to an including what the house sounds like when the taps are running. The sounds coming from the bathroom was not a sound I had ever heard before and since my house has a long history of falling in to complete chaos without notice, I became reasonably terrified.
I walked over to the bathroom to see if I could work out what was going on. Just as I reached the door, it swings open and a very soggy, thankfully toweled, Naiomi looks at me and says something along the lines of "It's not my fault, but the tap won't shut off."
Fuck.
I rush into the steam filled bathroom, it would have to be the hot tap that's on, and try to stop it. I turn the tap a few times. Nothing happens. The tap feels like it's tightening a bit, but the water just keeps on pouring.
Fuck.
I call my dad. He says I have to turn off the main water. This is a problem because I a) don't have any fucking clue where the main water is b) have to go down into my terrifying, awful, pit ofdespair that is the basement c) have a bunch of stuff sitting on the cellar-type door into the basement.
Fuck.
So we frantically move the shit off the basement door. I scramble downstairs while Naiomi has the good sense to fill a pot with some water, since we'll be waterless for the night. Over the phone my dad tells me where the main water tap should be. I find it, it's a good thing to know the location of as it turns out, and I turn it off.
I'm really happy I decided to shower last night and not this morning.
Today my dad's coming over to take a look at the tap. He's hoping it's just the washer. Worst case, we have to replace the taps which involves taking down tiles, the wall and replacing part of the pipes. That would leave me waterless for another day. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.
Damned stupid everything.

No comments: